24th August. The Cruel Sea

They say that the sea is a cruel mistress, I've never had a mistress - too middle class - but I dare say if I had she'd be cruel.

Enough waffle. Today was not a good day. Heavy rain throughout the night continued into the morning, past Heir Hunters, beyond Homes under the hammer eventually slowing mid-way through Saints and Scroungers. With wind forecast to swing southwest  and strengthen mid-afternoon the obvious choice was to head to Porthgwarra, as I had done the previous day in less than ideal conditions.  After a brief shopping session in St Just, I got in the car and headed out to Nanquidno!!

The wind had dropped and the sun was out - surely not sea watching weather? I saw nothing in this charming valley and went back to the caravan in Kelynack. I hadn't even got out of the car when a twitter alert informed me of this.....


I moaned, cried and let out a small quantity of wee. A similar last minute change of mind had earlier in the week cost me a delicious crab sandwich after changing to a rather bland hot pork, though this was obviously worse! To make it worse earlier in the week I hinted to the finder, Mark Thomas, that coming down this weekend might be a waste of time!
Another birder staying on our site called round to the caravan catching me in a state of despair complete with head in hands, he was equally (and more deserving) distraught having left PG just an hour before!

Jo didn't help matters by offering her sympathy in the form of the comment "it's only a bird......"


No comments: